Long Post Alert! But please read it atleast if you are a resident or a post PG. Need help. TIA

Long Post Alert! But please read it atleast if you are a resident or a post PG. Need help. TIA

I am writing this in hope that this reaches right person’s ear and eyes, and things get better here. I have seen power of posts here when a resident from bjmc ahmd thought of leaving seat after joining during his initial part of residency, and it was taken care of.
I am first year resident of obgyn in gmc aurangabad. Had heard good name of dept , seems like I am still to get to know that good part.
I have written it in bits and pieces in all these days, still I might have left something.
I am not able to settle myself here, not because it’s a new place. It is about the poor management. I wish to leave the seat but can’t as seat leaving penalty is of 20lacs.
The wards and labour rooms do not have BP apparatus, Doppler, glucometer and it’s strips, urine albumin strips, ketone strips etc. Hence, each resident has to buy his own all these stuffs and carry them. And then these things keep getting lost and we have to buy them again. Actually whatever hospital doesn’t have, a first year resident has to buy. Till few months ago, even pcm tablets, syringes, gloves etc used to be unavailable. Fortunately, a resident prescribed that to a patient, and the bills came into media…and atleast these things are there these days. Still we have to buy whatever and whenever unavailable and reqd urgently. And this is in addition to blood investigation bulbs and necessary drugs.
OT doesn’t have OTslippers , so we carry our own in our bags. There are no shoecovers too. The scrubs we wear in OT aren’t sterilised, we just wash them with our other clothes that’s it.
Interns are available only on ED days (that too 12hrly rotation), only for sampling in LR, not a single work otherwise. Sometimes even that is also done by residents. They don’t even know Foley’s insertion. I remember, as an intern it was only obgy posting where we had done almost every work a JR1 would do.
We are provided N95 mask/person in count of 3 to 5 per month to use in rotation. Those doing covid duty and those doing non covid duty, live in same room of hostel. No quarantine post covid duty. A few have done both covid and non covid simultaneously too.
Even being a obgy resident, we have to beg for gloves in wards. Mostly those which are available in LR are autoclaved ones. Sometimes even that’s unavailable in labor room. And have seen sister in LR saying, “go tell this to whoever you want, there are no gloves means no gloves”. Unfortunately, but when sisters have to push meds thru iv cath, they use double gloves plus caps and masks. And we are expected to remove Foley’s bare hands. Oh, we don’t get surgical masks too in wards. Forget about putting a cath, sisters won’t even remove one iv cath when needed and residents there in wards will be asked to do. There were days of my internship when we have used gloves for sampling. Sometimes when we ask nursing staff to attach a drip, they say we’ll prepare it but it’s you who’ll have to attach.
Some basic practices are really horrible. We put Foley’s without any lubricants. No shoecovers in LR as well. No plastic gowns in LR for us, everything if spill, it’ll be on your scrubs. No plastic sheets under mother, such that babies are born after smearing through faeces. Cats stay in LR for placenta treat from dustbin. Instruments are autoclaved once a day, after that just soap wash. Don’t expect betadine during episiotomy. Episiotomy gauge pads are also kept on same base of faeces.
Documentation load is huge. Consent is taken even for Blood transfusion and iron sucrose injection. First year residents have to get Xerox of all those consent and notes, which costs around 600-800/week. The stats and online enteries that’s supposed to be done by sisters, have to be done by residents. Sometimes when we are about to discharge a patient, we get to know the pt has not been intime by sister in ward, and then we do that.
The working hours in residency is insane. We have 4 units in total, so every 4th day is ED. ED + Post ED comprises 40hrs at a stretch atleast…sometimes even post ED night too we have to work……and ofcourse no post ED off. Other days and OT and ward days which starts from 6 in morning, and usually ends by 10 of night on lucky days , otherwise no end time. I think that’s the case almost everywhere more or less. But in this pandemic,when multiple residents were tested positive collectively, other college decided to decrease working hours to 12hours per day,; here it didn’t matter.
I understand hostels are bad almost everywhere…but do you guys have to buy your own cot/beds and cupboards or hospital admin provides that?
I haven’t seen such poor maintenance of cleanliness at hospital and college, every corner of hospital painted with Tobacco spits, the corrridors and staircase stink. The auditorium seems like hasn’t been cleaned since it was built.
Idk if it seems normal to some, but I too have worked in multiple hospitals. I have been part of both type of institutions, those considered above this and those preferred below this; nowhere the basic situation was this bad… and it is not to be generalised for other Maharashtra institutions, as I said.
Residency is tough for everyone. But these things are apart from usual dept toxicity and problems. These things are bothering me a lot. My mental peace is lost. I feel like crying all time. We do not deserve to live and work like this. Please help or suggest a way…or make it reach right ears.
ps: pls don’t advise like, ignore this or its matter of just 3 yrs. Beleive me, I have tried to convince myself that…