Peripheral vessels emboli are too small, it is easy for Clot retraction by normal body physiology

if canula gets blocked due to blood and if we flush with NS won’t it cause any problem?? Like emboli??( I used to do it in the whole internship but getting doubt now)

Even I also got the same doubt, but you can try flushing it with 1:1000 heparinised saline

but in govt setup it won’t be available

where I work it’s available, or rest explain the attendant who can afford, and make a heparinised saline flush in bulk

I think the normal fibrinolytic system and anticoagulants of the body takes care of the small clot if any else the heparinising seems to be a fairly good idea.

Ns will will.mix with blood … why will it cause embolism?

How will NS dissolve the clot?? NS flush will just push away any tiny block.

This is why central iv lines are flushed with heparinized saline…

Maybe the peripheral ones are too small

Theoretically yes. But practically nope. Our body is equipped with well developed & potent fibrinolytic system which dissolves the blood clot before reaching the heart or the pulmonary circulation. But yes, you should be careful about air embolism and hence utmost care should be taken to prevent injection of air into the blood stream. This is of concern especially with patients with patent foramen ovale.

The thrombus in peripheral veins due to cannulas are minute and are insignificant and would disintegrate while reaching large vessels…while the thrombus/or any thrombus in central vessels are almost always significant…that’s the reason central lines should always be flushed with heparinised fluid but not in case of peripheral lines!

Large diameter vessels would cause organisation of large thrombus and vice versa

Peripheral vessels emboli are too small, it is easy for Clot retraction by normal body physiology. Central line mein khel alag hota hai, waha Heparinised Saline flush krna padhta hai