Subject-Wise Books For PG Medical Entrance Exams Preparation

Subject-Wise Books For PG Medical Entrance Exams Preparation

It is always confusing for students preparing for their Post Graduate (PG) medical entrance exams like AIIMS PG, AIPGMEE, NEET-PG, JIPMER, PGI, CMC, MAHE etc about which books to use. As these PG entrance exams are based on Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) classic medical textbooks are not too much of use to students as MCQ books are needed for orientation to exam pattern and also for quick revisions which are not possible to do from classic textbooks due to the limited time available to students. In this review article, I am mentioning most commonly used MCQ books by medical students to crack these entrance exams along with my personal opinion on which one is the best.

Also before I start with the review of the books I would like to tell you a simple method to decide how much time should a student give to each subject for the subject-wise reading. I am writing about this because I have got many queries from students about how much time should be given to each subject. So Number of Day for a subject = Weightage (Marks) of the subject in NEET-PG/ AIPGMEE . This is a very approximate method of knowing the days and it mainly applies to subjects like Medicine, Surgery, PSM, Pharmacology etc i.e. subjects having high weightage. For example, Radiotherapy and Radiodiagnosis both have 6 marks each weightage in AIPGMEE but it is easy to finish it off within 2-3 days each. Also, Forensic Medicine has weightage of 10 marks but it is easy to finish it off in 4-5 days. A student who is good at a particular subject will take the lower number of days to read it from MCQs books. So final decision should be made by the student only about how many days he/ she wants to read a particular subject. A detailed breakup of subjects for AIPGMEE 2016 can be found here and for NEET-PG here.