The blood transfusion and its products

The blood transfusion and its products are one of the things we do in the nursery and for various reasons…

In this post, we will talk about the PRBCs transfusion…

• There are many reasons to transfer PRBCs to the baby… It’s not our topic here… But the point I want to talk here is that there are over indications from us… meaning we are transfusing blood to cases not I need… Like, for example, Baby Pritterm Hemoglobinh 7 and his hematocrit is 27… and he is not on oxygen and he takes feeding with the Rail and his things are stable… Does this baby need a blood transfusion ? The answer is no, you don’t need…

In the first comment, I will post a schedule of manual in which the indications of transfusion for preterm babies… We will find that we are looking at hematocrit - not only hemoglobin - and retics…

And that the baby’s condition differentiates in need of blood… Baby on oxygen other than baby not on oxygen… Baby on artificial breathing… Baby symptomatic needs a transfer with hematocrit higher than if baby is okay and without support.

• Blood transfusions like any intervention we do for the baby… It has side effects…

And blood transfusions have big problems… Incompatibility, infection or side effects of preservatives

And there are other complications in the net, it can happen like this

Transfusion Related Acute Lung Injury ( TRALI )

Transfusion Related Acute Gut Injury ( TRAGI )

And it can work IVH and increase the odds of NEC.

• There are things we do that reduce the odds that we need a blood transfusion for the baby… This is very important… Like Delayed cord clamping… We try not to do laborers tests on heroes or tests that are unnecessary… Use The erythropoietin if you need it… proper management of jaundice from early so that we don’t need to reach exchange… and of course we try to prevent the sepsis from getting us into a dark railway with the Prem 🥴.