True about autism –
- Occurs in high economic striata
- Normal communication
- Starts before 2–3 years of age
- More common in girls
- Autism is a neurologic disroder characterized by -
- Qualitative impairment in social interaction
- Qualitative impairment in communication.
- Restricted repetitive and streotyped patterns of behaviour, interests, and activities.
- Onset of symptoms is usually before 3 years of age.
- 3-5 times more common in boys, but more severe when occurs in girls.
- More common among low socio-economic groups.
- Impairment in communication
- Impairment in social interaction
- Inability to concentrate
- Restricted repetitive and streotypes patterns of behaviour, interests and activities.
- Failure to acquire speech.
- Approximately 75% of children with autism are mentally retarded.
- Epilepsy develops in approximately one-fifth to one-third individuals.
- Half of autistic patients have abnormalties on EEG.