Two back surgeons recommended lumbar spinal Osteosynthesis!

GOALS - “IF YOU THINK SO!”

Two back surgeons recommended lumbar spinal Osteosynthesis!

“If you don’t do this, you run the great risk of permanent paralysis!”

That was the devastating diagnosis of a 52-year-old patient.

On a recommendation from a colleague, she came to us for rehab. First of all, she would like to have a conversation and look at everything from a different perspective, namely that of the rehab trainer.

I took an hour to hear your story and perform functional tests. After all that we sat together at the treatment table and she looked at me in the hope that I could tell something more positive than the two surgeons.

I mentioned to this lady that I cannot give any clear information on how and whether a training would work and whether she will be symptom-free again. But it couldn’t hurt to try it!

Then she said; " If you think so!"

If you mean, “I’d rather wait with the operation!”

So I’ll tell the story in a short version …

We started exercising 3 times a week.

The first month we hardly had any success, even the mostly simple exercises were torture for you … Then there is often a moment of doubt, I’ll do the right thing, pain is unbearable, should she still do the operation…)

But after a 5 week she came to me and mentioned that she had slept a whole night without getting up and walking!

This was a very important mental point, I’ll say. From that point on things slowly got better … So we decided to intensify the training. I explained our walking program. “ If you think so ,” she kept saying. The walking program initially consisted of 15 minutes twice a day, including exercises. So an very humble trainingsprogram.

Two weeks later we sat together again. I asked you what is your goal ?! What do you want to achieve? She mentioned on it; “ I would like to be able to walk around the Rotsee in Lucerne with my man without pain”! This distance is 6.8 kilometers….

That’s absolutely realistic, I told you … “if you think so!”

2 weeks later I got a call … “I walked around the Rotsee !!!”

She was in the clouds!

The next training session we discussed how to proceed… " I would love to be able to jog again! " Since she used to be a passionate runner, I could imagine this …

I mentioned that you should register for the “Women’s Run in Bern”. Distance 10 kilometers.

She looked at me with big eyes and said; “If you think so!!”

On day X the time had come … I received a call from Bern … A totally “hysterical woman” on the phone, my patient! I made it !!!

That was also the point where we decided to stop rehab.

The story is not over yet …

We worked further with personal fitness training.

As a runner, she always had one big wish and that was the Boston Marathon…

1 ½ year after I saw here for the first time, she was ready for Boston …

I got a call……

As a thank you I got a picture which I would like to share with you….

She wrote one line on the picture… ”If you think so”!