What are the treatments for cyclic neutropenia (CyN)?
Treatments for CyN include:
- Antibiotics for infections
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF), filgrastim (Neupogen®)
- Bone marrow transplant. This is rarely needed, but could be done if a person CyN does not respond to available treatments ordevelops cancer.
What are the complications/side effects of the treatments of cyclic neutropenia (CyN)?
Any person might be allergic to any type of medication. Signs of allergy include skin rashes or swelling, breathing difficulties and low blood pressure.
Antibiotics usually have some minor side effects, like diarrhea or yeast infections. Filgrastim side effects may include:
- Joint and bone pain
- Kidney problems
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Rupture of the spleen
- A crisis of sickle cell disease in people with these disorders
If you are taking filgrastim and have any type of problem, including pain in the upper left abdomen and/or shoulder, you should get immediate medical attention.