Which of the following would be the most appropriate response?

A 39-year-old Caucasian woman visits her primary care physician for a routine examination. She denies any physical or psychiatric complaints, and her physical examination is within normal limits. Her physician advises her of the importance of eating a well-balanced diet and exercising on a regular basis. He then asks whether she has any questions before he sees his next patient. She suddenly becomes tearful and says, ''Actually, yes. My 17-year-old son just told me he is gay, and I don’t know what to do. I’ve always been taught that homosexuality is wrong, but he is my son and I love him. What should I do?" Which of the following would be the most appropriate response?

(A) “Experimenting with homosexuality is completely normal behavior in adolescents. I’m sure this is a phase that will pass with time.”

(B) "Homosexuality is considered a normal variant of human sexuality. However, I can see that you are concerned. Let’s talk about what’s on your mind:’

(C) "These things need to be discussed with a psychiatrist. I can make a referral:’

(D) “Your son’s sexual life is his private business and he needs to discuss that with his own physician.”

(E) “You seem rather upset. What is it that you don’t like about gay people?”