7 things you need to know about your USMLE Step 1 Results and Score Reporting

So, you are finally done with your USMLE Step 1 exam. Now its time to wait for your USMLE Step 1 scores . This will feel like forever but, be patient. Here are things you need to know about USMLE Step 1 results.

Knowing what to expect before hand will reduce some of the anxiety you have regarding the USMLE Step 1 results and score reporting. Here’s what you should know.

1. When will my USMLE Step 1 Results arrive?

While this is not a rule, most USMLE Step 1 scores are released on the 3rd or 4th Wednesday after your exam date.

The results are generally released at around 18.00 IST which is around 08.30 EST.

2. How will I know when my USMLE Step 1 scores have been released?

You will usually get an email from ECFMG once your scores are available. The email subject line reads,

Your Score Report is Available

Yes! you may get a mini heart attack when you see this.

3. How do I check my USMLE Step 1 score report?

The email will have this link – https://oasis2.ecfmg.org/ to the OASIS (Online Applicant Status and Information System) website.

Once you log in using your ECFMG id and Password , you will have access to a link that opens your score report.

4. What will my USMLE Score report have?

The USMLE score report will open up as a PDF . This report will have a comprehensive evaluation of your exam performance as well as your 3 digit Step 1 score !

There are graphs which show your performance in each topic relative to the average.

Note: Don’t forget to save this USMLE Step 1 Score Report PDF. It will not be accessible after a few weeks.

Note: Do not share your score report on social media . This score report has your ECFMG identification number and other personal information that can be misused. Blur the personal information if you really want to share!

5. What do I do if my USMLE Step 1 results do not arrive in 3-4 weeks?

While most results are released withing this time frame, there could be Step 1 reporting delays . You can find out about these delays on the USMLE Score reporting archives.

If there are no delays mentioned for the time period in which you are expecting your results, it is best to wait for another 1-2 weeks before you shoot an email to ECFMG.

6. My results are withheld by ECFMG pending further verification. What should I do?

This is a problem faced by some international medical graduates (IMGs). The ECFMG may require additional verification before it releases your USMLE Step 1 results.

Note: This is not in any way dependent on your scores. It is just an additional check point used by ECFMG sometimes.

This additional verification form is shipped to your medical school by ECFMG and may take a few days to arrive. Once your medical school verifies you, then you need to send the forms back to ECFMG. Make sure you send these forms by a courier service like FedEx or DHL to ensure faster delivery.

Note: Once the verification form is received by ECFMG, a request to release your USMLE result will be made by them. You will then receive your USMLE Step 1 scores. This does not have to be a Wednesday. The scores will be released once all the requirements are fulfilled.

7. I want to get my USMLE Step 1 Scores rechecked

If you feel that your exam was way better than the scores you received, you can challenge the score and ask for a recheck. More information on how to request a USMLE Step 1 score recheck can be found here .

Remember that these requests need to be sent within 90 days of receiving your score and require you to pay a fee of $80.

Hope these tips were helpful. If you have any questions, you can post them in the comments section below.