Atopic dermatitis is a highly individualized, long-lasting, inflammatory skin condition that affects 10-20% of the world's population

:heavy_check_mark:Atopic dermatitis is a highly individualized, long-lasting, inflammatory skin condition that affects 10-20% of the world’s population.

:writing_hand:t3:The word “atopic” denotes a form of allergy in which a hypersensitivity occurs in a part of the body, not in contact with the allergen. Making this form of eczema vastly different than contact dermatitis which is a temporary condition caused by environmental factors.

:x:It is common for those who suffer from atopic dermatitis to be misdiagnosed or misinformed on the type of eczema they have, which leads them to treat it as if environmental factors were the cause.

:fire:The most widely experienced symptom of atopic dermatitis is extreme itchiness. The skin becomes so uncontrollably itchy it leads the person suffering from the condition to itch their already compromised skin, leading to breakage and enhanced sensitivity.

:microbe:Many people who suffer from atopic dermatitis also suffer from or have family members who suffer from other atopic conditions such as hay fever, food allergies, and asthma. People who suffer from atopic eczema also show to have predispositions toward developing foot fungus, staphylococcal infection as well as herpes simplex virus. The exact reason for this is unknown.

:breast_feeding:t3:Atopic dermatitis in infancy is more common than in adulthood. Infant eczema is characterized by inflamed, weeping patches found on the face and in the creases and folds of skin on the arms, legs, neck, and groin. Atopic dermatitis in infants often goes into a period of dormancy for some time and goes on to reappear in a new location on the body later in life.

:pinching_hand:🏼Atopic dermatitis in adulthood commonly manifests on the scalp and hands and is characterized by a variety of symptoms including:

-Dry patches that are leathery, red and thick

-Small raised bumps that ooze when scratched

-Dry rectangular scales of skin

-Inflammation around the eyes and lips

:question:Eczema is a complicated condition. Currently, there is not a definitive cause for eczema but that does NOT mean that we haven’t seen results in treating it.

:x:Allopathic medicine often uses immunosuppressants, steroid creams and anti-inflammatory medications to mask the symptoms but this methodology fails to address the root cause.

:pray:Those who have studied the condition and have an understanding of the potential root causes have had great success in healing long term through a holistic approach. We know as we do with many things that sometimes in order to find a solution we need to work upstream, and that stream is a little different for everybody.

:male_detective:t3:‍♀In my practice I work with my clients to design highly individualized treatment plans that take their bio-individuality into consideration and use it as a foundation for the approach to finding relief.

:envelope_with_arrow:If you are interested in learning more please send me a message and I’d be happy to discuss the process with you.