Dr. Ambrish's USMLE Step 1 Experience of 271!

I am writing this experience to help all of you in your USMLE journey. This experience will detail
my exam prep methodology, the books i used, the question banks i used, the things i did right and
also the things i did wrong (which is equally important as it will help you understand what NOT to
do). I am a Caribbean IMG and i gave my exam after my med school was over… Unlike many
colleges my college did not mandate that i give my test during med school… therefore i
procrastinated in the quest of the ultimate 270 score. I did eventually get this core…but at what
cost ? Of becoming an old graduate who finished med school 4 years ago. This is mistake #1
don’t be me… Start early and finish early. I could have already been half way through my residency
by now had i not procrastinated and done the right thing at the right time. Try to get done as soon
as you can as more time is not equal to high score always.
I started preparation with Kaplan Lecture Notes and Kaplan Videos of lectures. This i did for
almost a year on and off while procrastinating and wasting time with hanging out with friends and
wasting time in meaningless things. After i finished ONLY Kaplan and without any questions
practice i gave my first NBME. I scored very low 217 on NBME 16 … I was hoping for a high
score…but i was devestated with the score. I was almost in a shock for 1 month. Finally after
consults with my seniors and friends i understoof that i can’t just memorize the course… I need to
practice it well via questions if i hope to score well. So mistake #2 never do just the theory do the
questions too…
So i started doing UW and First Aid and Pathoma… I did this for 4 months and i also revised my
Kaplan books again…then after again procrastinating for a month or so i finally gave NBME 18 and
got 259. I was on cloud 9. I thought i would bomb the exam and would score terribly but to my
surprise I actually scored well… I had lost all confidence after wasting a year and scoring just 217
my confidence of scoring in 260s and 270s had evaporated…but after this test i was on cloud 9…
And i was elated.
I had never faced this issue in my medical school however here i faced this issue of becoming
bipolar. Dont get me wrong it was not like an actual psychiatric thing but when you study USMLE
you will realize that you will be elated and escstatic on one day and next day of your UWorld block
you get only 60% correct you will feel like you are in depths of depression. After this score i was
like F** yeah !! I am gonna score a 270 for sure and gonna gut this exam. Then i started wasting
Do you want to get
Updates & Recent
Experiences ?
CLICK THE Button “Get Started” Below:
Get Started
Marguerite Jay Not you?