Hello guys! Let us see yesterday's answer, and it's B,that is coarctation of aorta

Hello guys! Let us see yesterday’s answer, and it’s B,that is coarctation of aorta.

I do agree it was standard to maybe towards slightly easy side but the main point was the pattern. The question length was deliberately put long so as you guys should develop a habit of reading the question quickly and pick one very important give away.

In this question, it was absent bilateral femoral pulses. The clinical scenario depicted a normal baby who came into congestive heart failure at day 4. This is very typical of the duct dependent lesions who comes in chf usually with in first week. Absence of fever and no risk factors of sepsis ruled our sepsis,and in TOF and PDA, femoral pulses are there,and hence coarctation is the answer.

Immediate management is PGE2 infusion to keep the duct patent,meanwhile establish the diagnosis by echocardiography and definitive management accordingly.

I hope you guys find it interesting as well as useful. I’ll try to continue the series in the same pattern as frequently as possible.

Best wishes!

Dr Manoj Malhotra
MBBS (MAMC) MD pediatrics(LHMC)