I first learnt knee replacements from Mr. John Goodfellow of Oxford

I first learnt knee replacements from Mr. John Goodfellow of Oxford who was the Inventor of Oxford Knee. I was then with Mr. Mike Freeman; Possibly the slickest surgeon I’ve ever seen.

My stay in Europe & The America made me Interact with other knee surgeons which made me passionate about knee Arthoplasty by 1990. I then spent a few years in Bio-Mechanical Labs and Implant manufacturing factories including Biomet, Protek, Link, Thakery, etc.

Mr.Freeman was a great proponent of cruciate sacrificing design while Mr.GoodFellow Would retain even the anterior cruciate if he could. As i departed to India, I purchased about 200 Pieces of Freeman Knees. I believed these would last for many years, But exhausted them in a single year.

I could simply not afford to restock my inventory, because these Implants by then cost about Rs.45000 in those times, and to cater to my Non-Affording patients, I devised a wholly indigenous knee in 1993, and manufactured over 10000 pieces which were sold for Rs.10000 each in those times. I must confess, I made huge profits from these. These knees have stood the test of time with a life span of 20 to 25 years.

I was away from the knee scenarios for about 13 Years, Because of personal reasons, & When I Returned I found that, The knees that were available in the market, were so prohibitively over-priced, that An Average patient found difficulty in affording them. With this in mind I have launched The LARA Basic Knee, which is now on an exclusive offers to surgeons for less than Rs.15000 Per joint, enabling you to use them on patients not covered by Insurance.

The video below is a Step by Step detailing of the Instrumentation & Surgical Procedures.

I still believe that Knee Replacement is more about soft tissue balances than bone cuts.

My incisions may be bigger, my dissections may be inelegant. The procedure may seem too quick and Rapid. But I offer no apologies because my original knees have lasted 25 years & longer.