Between the covers📚
In the company of Medicine ☤) ©2020
- Caused by vascular insult → bowel herniation
- 2 nd trimester USG → >95% sensitive for abdominal wal defects and maternal serum AFP usually ↑ed
- Gastroschisis → bowel exposed to amniotic fluid → inflammation and edema of bowel wall → ↑ risk of complications (eg necrotizing enterocolitis, short bowel syndrome)
- Dysmotility (ileus, delayed gastric emptying, intolerance to feeds)—occur in >50% cases and may prolong reliance on TPN - It is isolated defect in >90% cases
- Rx: after delivery → cover exposed bowel with sterile saline dressings and plastic wrap to minimize insensible heat and fluid losses → Place nasogastric tube to decompress bowel and start on antibiotic therapy → prompt surgical repair and can usually be accomplished in a single-stage closure.