It was recently announced that Step 2 CS has been suspended for 12-18 months

๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿญ

A lot has happened in the past few days that has created quite a lot of anxiety in the applicants. I usually do not partake in speculation but decided to write this because I have been getting a lot of inbox messages about this issue. The below are my thoughts at the time of writing this (Note: the situation has been changing fast so some of this may change).

It was recently announced that Step 2 CS has been suspended for 12-18 months. Some of the questions people have been messaging me about are discussed below. I must clarify that I am in no way affiliated with NRMP, ECFMG, USMLE or any related organization in any capacity. Also, what I am writing only reflects my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinions of any institutions I am affiliated with or work at.

๐—œ๐˜€ ๐—ถ๐˜ ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜ ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฝ ๐Ÿฎ ๐—–๐—ฆ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ป?

Yes

๐—ช๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐—˜๐—–๐—™๐— ๐—š ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜ ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฝ ๐Ÿฎ ๐—–๐—ฆ?

At the time of writing this, No. (But read below for more)

๐—ช๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ฏ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐˜€?

Yes

๐—ช๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐˜€ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ธ ๐—บ๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜ ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฝ ๐Ÿฎ ๐—–๐—ฆ?

At the time of writing this, I was informed by a medical student that the most likely scenario for US graduates is that they get to skip taking it and participate in the match as usual. (Please note that this information has not been verified by me.)

For IMGs, although the programs will interview candidates who are not ECFMG certified, It is not customary for programs to rank IMGs who are not ECFMG certified. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

The ECFMG has not yet issued a statement in this regard yet. (But read the below for more)

Now again, I am not involved in decision making for the involved regulatory and credentialing bodies but the following scenarios come to mind. Any this is pure speculation and we can all have a healthy discussion if it helps anyone. Also, I would love and appreciate your inputs on what else may be possible or any new updates.

1. ๐—˜๐—–๐—™๐— ๐—š ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ด๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—พ๐˜‚๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฝ ๐Ÿฎ ๐—–๐—ฆ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—˜๐—–๐—™๐— ๐—š ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป. This would mean that IMGs may be able to get ECFMG certified without taking the CS exam this year. This would be the ideal scenario.

2. ๐—˜๐—–๐—™๐— ๐—š ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜† ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜† ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฎ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—พ๐˜‚๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฒ๐˜…๐—ฎ๐—บ ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ. This should still allow applicants to apply and participate in the match.

3. ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ณ ๐—œ๐— ๐—š๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ผ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—–๐—ฆ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ถ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜†๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ? This is a very unlikely scenario. IMGs are an essential part of the healthcare system in the United States. It is unlikely that ECFMG, USMLE and NRMP would not address this before the forthcoming match.

ECFMG announcement mentioned that they are working on recognizing alternatives to the examination. I am unsure what that exact alternative would be and that is something that the announcement would hopefully clarify. I am positive that they will take into account any limitations of the new alternative and if those limitations justify forgoing this requirement for this particular situation.

๐— ๐˜† ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ: Please feel free to take it or ignore it. I have been in your shoes and I understand how it may be easy for me to say this since I am not applying this year:
Try to stay calm and stay the course. Each hour we spend speculating and being anxious is a productive hour wasted. Use it in constructive ways instead: work on your personal statement, self-care activities, making program-lists/researching programs etc.

There will be an answer to all the questions by the appropriate bodies soon. We are all physicians and have the mental strength to get through medical school, to embark upon this tough journey and, to have come so far. It is difficult not to be stressed but try engaging in constructive activities with the best outcome in mind. I promise that the time you invest constructively would not be wasted.

I will address some of these developments on the next episode of my Podcast which is available on my website and most major platforms (โ€œThe Rank To Match Podcastโ€) on June 5th, 2020. New episodes of my podcast come out on the 5th and the 20th of each month. Feel free to listen to the older episodes and subscribe for free to get the new ones. Would love to know your thoughts.

Good Luck!

Dr. Kahlon