Most of the general public are not aware of the art and science going behind in the hospital

Most of the general public are not aware of the art and science going behind in the hospital - to make a proper diagnosis and treatment. So I thought i will take time and pen down on it.
What is Pathology and why it’s important?
Pathology is a field of medicine where it’s involved in diagnosis and prognosis.
What do i do as a pathologist in routine day to day practice.

1. Hematology - There are many automated tests which entirely is dependent on machine. But the most important thing is to know whether machine is working correctly or not. A quality indicator to be done day in and day out.
    Peripheral smears - If there are any abnormality in the report the Pathologists sees it under the microscope - to see whats the problem and the physician treats it.
    Bone marrows - Done in many conditions - to diagnose, to prognose, to stage a disease - all of these are a part and parcel of the management.
    Flow cytometry - the science is so advanced that it can detect a few hundreds of cells in millions and can say it’s abnormal - Pathologist report it perfectly - so the treatment can go on with the protocol.
  2. Cytology - FNAC and Pap smears - These are less painful tests compared to a biopsy and reported within a few hours so that the treatment or further investigations can be done.
  3. Histo-Pathology
    This is the major chunk of work which cannot be replaced by machines (even in near future). A vital component of diagnosis in many many scenarios. There are significant number of times - by seeing the patient or by seeing scans the doctor cannot come to a conclusion. But by looking at the microscope we can arrive at a diagnosis and inform the physician the same so he/she can treat the patient.
    Being in routine diagnostics is not an easy job, the most important is to stay updated - Protocols change every year. It is like reading every day throughout the life so that the patient management can be met with the latest guidelines.