My PLAB 1 Journey

With the help of Allah Almighty and my Parents Prayers I am able to pass PLAB 1 Exam in my first Attempt. I am writing my experience for PLAB 1 and at end will suggest key points for PLAB 1 Preparation for new doctors who are planning their journey for UK. I would like to say Thank you to Recall Medicine for providing to the point orientation and proper help in preparation for PLAB 1. i would not be able to nail this exam without their guidance & Support. They are too professional for their services.

1 – Time Duration:

2 months study Time with full time job. I tried to give maximum time to studies, forget about all extra activities during this period.

2 – Resources:

Pass Medicine, PLABABLE & 1700 questions by Dr. Khalid.

3 – Method of Study:

Group Study – we were three doctors in group. Managed time according to duties of each other.

My Performance on Examination Day

I managed to complete my paper 90 minutes earlier than the given time. I was out of examination hall exactly after 1.5 hours.

My Result:

I have passed PLAB 1 exam with 85% Score. Though score doesn’t matter at all but it matters when you are preparing for the exam. Reason why i have mentioned about my score is that after March 19 attempt I heard a lot of doctors were mentioning that the exam was much tough than expected. But I found it opposite.

Examination Preparation:

• As I was advised by Recall Medicine team, I started my preparation with Passmedicine PLAB pool. I did Medicine & Peads from Passmedicine in detail. Surgery & Allied half question with explanation done.

• Then I moved to PLABABLE & I took 3 months PLABABLE subscription. I did each topic in detail and with complete word to word explanation.

• Last 10 days I studied 1700 questions by Dr. Khalid.

• In last 2 days I just did 2 mocks of PLABABLE.

• I was able to finish mock of 180 questions in less than 1 hour time and scoring more than 90% in each mock.

• Alhumdlillah I was able to finish my real examination in 1.5 hours’ time.

KEY POINTS and TIPS for PLAB 1 Preparation.

• Self – Assessment. As I was guided, it is very important to asses yourself before your examination preparation. No one can guide about time duration of exam preparation. It’s you who need to decide about time duration. We all are in different shoes and have different responsibilities. So time requirement by everyone would be different. At least 2/3 months’ time and if you are not familiar with guidelines or recent updates in medicine then you may need up to 6 months good preparation to nail the exam in first attempt.

• Here in groups you will get every type of advice and mostly doctors proudly say that they studied only for 1 week or few weeks and nailed their exam. But this can’t be the case with everyone. So look at your own shoes then decide wisely time duration for studies as per your job, other responsibilities & clinical Knowledge. Don’t follow other’s advice blindly.

• If you have never attempted any international exam then also you may require more time for preparation.

• Do good home work for exam requirements, study resources from seniors and doctors who have done exam recently.

• Book your exam wisely; don’t be in hurry to book exam with short of time. Failing an exam with shortage of time or half-heartedly preparation always crush your confidence.

· Study Resources. Don’t follow doctors who say just do 1700 questions and you will make it. As I mentioned earlier everyone have different capabilities. And mostly doctors who said so had attempted other exams earlier and that’s reason for those little efforts bring success. And don’t go for many resources also. Then definitely you will not be able to concentrate. Concise, to the point and limited resources always useful. I saw many doctors gathering so much material and at the end not able to go with one even.

• My Advice for doctors who are first time or someone who wasn’t able to make exam in this attempt is to start with pass medicine. Do at least medicine from there with complete explanation & if you have time then do other subjects also from pass medicine.

• PLABABLE & 1700 questions are mostly same. Only difference is PLABABLE have refined 1700 questions with bit explanation which 1700 questions by Dr. Khalid lack.

• Never ever depend on single source. I remember after March attempt mostly of doctors were complaining paper was tough and not from 1700 questions. Then it’s your fault if you have just depended on 1700 questions. PLAB never promised that Paper will be from 1700 questions. They have right to change paper questions anytime. So you should be well prepared for exam.

• Sometimes even with best preparation luck doesn’t work. Then it’s a just bad day. You should gather yourself and should attempt it with your best efforts.

All the best to all who are planning their journey for UK and better luck to all who were not able to make it this time. In sha allah you all will be able to make it next time.

Very special thanks to Recall Medicine team for their valuable help & Support to make this exam in my first attempt.