Program Director’s survey! (Credits:Ohio State University)

Program Director’s survey! (Credits:Ohio State University)

Can you provide any examples of residency interview behavior that really impress you?

The interviews that are the best are the ones I can sit down and talk to the candidate and not get to any of my rehearsed questions. These are the people that when the fifteen minute knock warning occurs, it felt like they just walked in the door. They were very pleasant and presentable, and easy to talk to. (Anes - Roth)

The candidate who comes well prepared, knows our program (from at least what can be gleaned from our webpage), knows our specialty, asks appropriate questions, but also allows time for me to talk and ask questions. (FM – Miser)

Applicant that is formal but comfortable. Articulate in talking about their own research. We are impressed by applicants that are well-rounded, goal-oriented, driven to succeed. (ENT – Desilva)

Interest, inquisitiveness, & great interpersonal skills are the key to the interview day. Gather baseline program information from websites, brochures, residents in the program - then verify the details with the faculty or program director. (IM-Peds – Holliday)

Willingness to discuss problem areas on the CV in an honest straightforward and poised way. Sharing one insight about my program that lets me know you have looked seriously at the website or participated in conversation with current residents. (IM - Wininger)

 Lean forward in your chair. Engage your interviewer in the discussion. Be interested and ask questions about the city as well as the program. Use first person plural “we” when discussing program. Like when will “we” do our first c-section? It shows your interest and that you feel like part of the program. (Ob-Gyn – Samuels)

 Be yourself (Ortho – Mayerson)

Candidates who have thoroughly researched the program and ask questions reflective of this (looked at website, talked with current or former graduates) (Psych – Niedemier)

Mostly the energy of the rapport and how interested the candidate appears to be in the program. (Neuro – Hart)

 Have a list of questions to review if they are not covered in the interview. Taking occasional notes when appropriate. Aware of the specialties of the faculty and general idea of research if appropriate. (NS – Miller) Knowing about the program is key. Also be kind to the residency coordinator! They have more input into this process than most candidates give them credit for having. (EM – Gorgas)

A sense of “appropriate” confidence with easy going but reserved manner and excellent communication skills. (Ophtho – Letson)

Do you have any personal pet peeves or negative experiences with residency applicants to share with our students as things to avoid?

Don’t ask the chair or the PD what the salary or call schedules are - these are details that could have been found with MINIMAL preparation by the applicant. If you’re falling asleep - find a way to wake up. Always act interested. Be nice to everyone you meet. (IM – Peds – Holliday)

 Comments that suggest they don’t really need to learn more about our program, because they assume all programs are the same. (IM – Wininger)

 Don’t “bad mouth” other programs during an interview. The person interviewing you may be a graduate of that program or may be related to that program director. (Ob-Gyn – Samuels)

Texting or responding to phone calls during informal meetings with faculty/residents (Psych – Niedemier)

Arrogance is a real turn off. I’ve had applicants slouch in their chair like they were at lunch with a buddy. Odd behaviors that violate conventions such as taking something off of the interviewer’s desk is an automatic do not rank (Neuro – Hart)

Not really (NS – Miller)

Dressed inappropriately, weak handshake, does not answer questions, uses inappropriate language, does not make eye contact, unable to carry a conversation, does not understand the research that the applicant has been involved with, or treats the support staff poorly (secretaries/front desk attendants/etc). (ENT – Desilva)

Applicants who act arrogant when meeting with residents. Drinking too much at before-interview socials, talking about other students on the interview trail (Ortho – Mayerson)

Arrogance, narcissistic behavior. (Ophtho – Letson)

Use caution when mentioning ANYTHING about alcohol. I had one candidate from OSU ask me why the department didn’t pay for beer at the residency candidate dinner the night before the interview. But even if home wine making is your hobby, think about whether it’s a good idea to highlight that. Also, even though I like to see a personal side of a candidate, it is rather uncomfortable when they cry in my office. Usually this is invoked by recalling a mistake or regret, or an emotionally laden patient encounter or loss. Avoid subjects which will control you and set your emotions reeling. (EM – Gorgas)