This is about my journey with IELTS

This is about my journey with IELTS, as requested by a few in my previous post. Firstly, IELTS is neither an easy nor a difficult exam. It’s a tricky exam. In my experience, I felt it doesn’t check how good you are in the language , it simply checks how you use your English knowledge in adhering to the exam rules and how you wisely clear it. My score in both attempts were the same L7.5, R8.5, W6.5 , S8 ( writing improved to 7 after re-evaluation in my second attempt) . I would recommend to have minimum 3 weeks preparation time.

Regarding re-evaluation : I was quite confident that I had written a better essay in my second attempt. I consulted a few people about re-evaluation. Many said it’s a 50:50 chance , I just applied it putting my faith in God. I know many people who couldn’t make it in re-evaluation, despite being good at English. I also doubt if it’s a matter of luck, God knows how it works. I would advice people to choose one option : re-evaluate/re-take / go for OET , and move on, instead of taking it hard on yourself. It’s the way it is, nothing can be done about it and no use brooding over it.

Here are my methods section wise.

Listening : Practice is the key. Do at least 15 mocks. I was weak at choose the answer type of questions and maps/flow charts/diagrams, so I concentrated more on them. Everyone clears listening with 7+ band easily, so its an easy section.

Reading : My most favourite section. Do at least 8 mocks, score will gradually improve with practice. Since I used to read novels ,I found reading section very interesting. You should read really fast , allot 7-8 minutes to rapidly read the passage and next 8 minutes to solve the questions. Always read first and solve later , never vice-versa as it can be misleading. First passage is usually the easiest, second is moderate, third is the toughest. So allot your time accordingly, 17 mins for first, 20 mins for second and the remaining for the last. Allot last couple of minutes to check the answers. I was weak at true/false and yes/no questions , so I concentrated more on them. Take print out of passsages and practice on paper with time limit.

In listening and reading : Pay attention to the articles(a,an,the) as sometimes answers may involve articles as well . Make sure you use capitals wherever necessary. Be careful about singular and plural form of nouns and verbs while writing the answers.

Writing : The villain in most people’s lives. Listen to Liz and Emma videos from YouTube and take notes of their points. Concentrate equally on both task 1 and 2. Get to know all question types from each task.

Task 1 has bar charts,pie charts, line diagrams, flow charts, process diagrams, maps. Go through samples and be thorough about the format of writing each question type. For example , Para 1 is paraphrasing, para2 is overall trend , para3 is clubbing similarities, para4 is clubbing dissimilarities. Practise writing at least one sample from all question types and get them corrected from the keys/ tutors/friends who have cleared the exam.

Task 2 carries more weightage. Again, get yourself acquainted with all question types like agree/disagree, advantage/disadvantage, problem/solution , discuss both views. Be clear about the writing format of all the question types. Always write 4 paragraphs. Go through sample essays of all bands starting from 6.5 and notice how each essay gets better with each successive band. If a question asks to mention your view, mention your view in the introduction itself. Allot first five minutes for a mind mapping of the topic and how you are going to present it ; last 5 mins for checking. Write a catchy introduction instead of just paraphrasing( write background statement, paraphrasing and thesis statement. See how to write a good introduction from YouTube ) Paraphrasing should be with minimum repetition of words. Never introduce any new idea in conclusion, it should always be 2-3 sentences comprising of paraphrasing and an inference statement. Make sure to use articles (a,an,the) wherever necessary. Never make any grammatical errors. Use variety of sentences structures(simple,complex,compound)- this is a must for a 7 band. Use a wide range of lexicals - you can collect lexicals from the reading passages when you practise and use them in essays accordingly. I followed this method, I collected vocabulary from the reading passages and noted them down in paper and used those in essays accordingly. Most importantly, never exceed the word limit, atleast not above 275. Try to finish the essay in the paper provided, try avoiding additional paper.

Speaking : Practice with your friends who have cleared it. Go through YouTube videos on speaking. Mostly the cue cards are from these 5 topics : person, place, thing, food, experience, weather. So collect vocabulary for these topics and use them accordingly. Practise atleast 20 cue card topics. Record yourself and pay attention to your expressions and body language. Talk enthusiastically and confidently. For leading questions, first answer yes/no, paraphrase them and add your opinion. You will improve with practise. Instead of using “I think” often, you can say I like, I prefer, I enjoy, I love, I am interested, I am fond of etc.

I hope you all find this post useful. Good luck everyone.