- A 24yo man asks his GP for a sick note from work. He says that feels down, is lethargic and has
stopped enjoying playing the piccolo (his main hobby). He was admitted to the psychiatry ward
last year following an episode of overspending, promiscuity and distractibility. What is the most
- a. Psychosis
- b. Cyclothymia
- c. Bipolar affective disorder
- d. Seasonal affective disorder
Ans. The key is C. Bipolar affective disorder. [presently patient has depression and previous features of mania makes the diagnosis of bipolar affective disorder likely].
- A 42yo female who is obese comes with severe upper abdominal pain with a temp=37.8C. She
has 5 children. What is the most probable dx?
- a. Ectopic pregnancy
- b. Ovarian torsion
- c. Hepatitis
- d. Biliary colic
- e. Cholecystitis
Ans. The key is cholecystitis. [Fat, female, fare, forty and fertile are the pneumonic for cholecystitis! Here the presentation of severe upper abdominal pain with fever along with the pneumonic features points towards the diagnosis of cholecystitis].
- A child has just recovered from meningitis. What inv will you do before discharge?
- a. CT scan
- b. EEG
- c. Blood culture
- d. Repeat LP
- e. Hearing test
Ans. The key is E. Hearing test. [deafness is a common complication of meningitis, so hearing test is suggested before discharge].