AMC MCQ confusing question collection for discussions

AMC MCQ confusing question collection for discussion
PART 1
Hi, I will post here some old AMC MCQ questions which I had trouble with. Maybe you have some answers and further questions for discussion!!!

1.) Which is least likely to cause HIV?

a. blood transfusion in 1988
b. hemophilia
c. homosexual lees contact in ten years (couldn’t figure out what lees was)
d. I/V drug user in 1990
e. Hetrosexual more with prostitute

I have no idea, would guess b if you not thinkl of recurrent blood transfusions as treatment or e ??? Any ipout?

2.) You can breach confidentiality except
a. harm to patient
b. harm to others
c. emergency to hospital
d. court order
e. maybe beneficial to patient

My answer would be e, as the maybe sounds a weak reason. But if there is harm to other peopla with concrete plans or sonsequences you can breach…

3.) Cyclic vulvovaginitis caused by
a. bacterial vaginosis
b. group B streptococcus
c. E coli
d. trichomonas

Think a, maybe b. Thought usually candida. And is with cyclic meant a woman having still or already menstruation or is it a specific term? Strep is most common cause in prepupertal girls as per therapeutic guidelines.

4.) Lung abscesses can be caused by all except
a. Staph
b. Klebsiella
c. Mycoplasma
d. bacteroides fragilis
e. Pneumocystis carinii

Well, definate causes a and b. My guess is c, but read bacteroides species can cause abscess OTHER than b. fragilis! And Pneumoc. Carinii is oftne not even noticed on CXR! What do you think guys?

5.) Losing of association is associated with
a. schizophrenia
b. dissociative identity disorder
c. bipolar disorder
d.dementia

My guess is d, but what is association here exactly? Other people thought it is a.

6.) Arterial ischemia and absent femoral and popliteal pulses, initally you will do
a. ankle brachial index pressure
b. femoral arteriogram
c. MRarteriogram
d. arterigram

My answer is a, although if acute wouldn’t it be arteriogram? What about ultrasound, what to we usually do first if acute or if non-acute as investigation? Any ideas?

7.) Menopausal lady with progesterone containing OCP, no bleed for 3 months what would you do initially?
a. USG to determine endometrial thickness
b. endometrial biopsy
c. increase the dosage of progesterone

My guess a but not clear why determinethickness. Should she as being menopausal still have menstruation on OCP???

8.) Toxic shcok syndrome is most commonly associated with (if this was an actual question then I think I will pass the exam)
a. super absorbent pad
b. endotoxin
c. desquamated rash

Struggle as obvious is a but what about c? C is typical with TSS. And nowadays cause often not menstruation related!

9.) Common cause of rupture of EPL
a. RA and SLE
b. avascular necrosis in neonate
c. tenosynovitis

Struggeling between a and c. My guess is a as RA can cause rupture but I read: most common cause of extensor pollicis longus rupture is infiltration, abrasion, synovitis, as well as periodic steroid injection and ischcaemic necrosis. But I don’t tink happens often in n eonates, or?

10.) Which of the following is a least likely finding in sexual abuse
a. finding gonococci
b. finding condylomata virus
c. labial hematoma
d. lacerations in the vagina

My answer is b. As it should be HPV. Or anyone thinks it is c?

11.) 2 year old child with fever, irritability, MSU shows WBC 20, protein ++, which of the following is correct?
a. amoxycillin 150mg daily
b.suprapubic aspiration
c. repeat urine examination
d. send culture and wait for result

I think it is b. But it is an MSU which would be sufficient if child 3-4 years but SPA is prefered. Amoxycillin used to be given but now often resistance and not appropiate anymore. Just wondered, when do we start treatment? As soon as we have WCC or as soon as pathology/lab finds WCC and/or organism?

12.) Child with UTI, which is least appropriate
a. send culture after antibiotic treatment
b. continue medication until urinary tract abnormality excluded
c. do USG of urinary tract
d. immediate micturation urethrogram

My guess after lots of thinking is d. As it should not be performed within 4 weeks. Can have false result and concerning radiation for child…. Other possible answer would be a I guess.

13.) 10 year old girl with simple patial seizure and 4 year history of intake of carbemazepine but convulsion 4 times in the last 2 weeks, which is the most appropriate Rx
a. stop CBZ and start phenytoin
b. increase dose of CBZ
c. continue CBZ and start sodium valproate
d. arrange CT scan and EEG

My answer is d. But actually I would have done EUCs and level, maybe EEG. Then imaging if all normal. I think we don’t like polypharmacy in epilepsy.

14.) A neonate developed jaundice after discharge on the 2nd day, he is lethargic and has poor feeding, whats the best management?
a. MSU
b LFT
c. phototherapy
d. Rx as sepsis