Brief blurb for today. I’ve received messages asking

Study Tip:

Brief blurb for today.

I’ve received messages asking:

Q: When do I start videos or live lecture

A: When time, financial resources and circumstances are right. If you need to do a review to brush up on many things then I suggest a text review (review book + Toronto notes) plus recorded lectures (Colin Fischer, Bolin, etc etc) just to refresh + questions. You want to maximize time in the course. Don’t wait till you’re “ready” to do the course. It is part of the learning process and is helpful for networking, meeting people in similar study situations, and guiding your study

Q: When do I start doing questions?

A: Yesterday, today, and every day after. The better test taker you are the better you’re going to do

Q: How do I make flash cards?

A: Quick recall question and answer format.

Examples: List three side effects of digoxin. List five infections causing rash on the palms and soles. Five causes of infectious heart block. What are the indications for cardiac surgery in ischemic heart disease. And of course flash card q bank questions you did not get right.

To provide you my experience I literally had over 1000 flash cards, some of which had 2-3 questions on them. I kept them random; some I broke into systems.

Q: How do I study and choose topics ?

A: Always a mixed approach. Read one subject, videos on another, and always comprehensive TIMED question blocks which you make flash cards from. This way you’re still all systems, all the time, just like a practicing physician. This builds Knowledge which can be applied! Very powerful concept to remember

Q: How do I find a study buddy?

A: Forums like this. Study groups. Live courses. Start a conversation with people

Q: Can we contact you directly?

A: My time is very limited I must apologize. I post to help you through the process and encourage and guide you. Please do not think I am ignoring I simply do not have the time.

I will try to address questions in blocks. I would appreciate if everyone could participate in answering questions if they know the answers.

Study tip:

When I or anyone posts a question, do not put down just the right answer. I’d like an explanation why the other options are wrong - active recall and application. Again - every wrong answer to the question you’re doing is the right answer to another question.

Q: Which course do I take that’s advertised here ?

A: I don’t know these courses personally sorry. I have sat in on some lectures to provide feedback and serve as a consultant for some programs but speak with the people running the program and people who have taken it and see what the feedback is. Also ask to try a free class or two

Q: I don’t know where to start

A: Simple. Get Toronto notes and master the boards, sign up for a qbank, and search for free online YouTube videos from Kaplan, colin fishcher, or Bolin and get started!

Thanks and good luck!