He was an extraordinary Clinician who integrated Clinical Medicine

Dean Faculty of Medicine, Professor Dr Krishna Rao MD PhD, Professor of Medicine / Physiology Kasturba Medical College Manipal is no more. He was an extraordinary Clinician who integrated Clinical Medicine / Physiology starting day 1 of our - MD Program 1982. As Dean, he would regularly arranged for Professors of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Cardio- Thoracic Surgery to have our University Hospital in- patients demonstrating clinical signs and simultaneously demystify their mechanisms in our lecture hall. A typical Neurophysiology lecture would typically start at 8AM - with the Professor of Neurology with a cadre of Neurology Residents eliciting clues - Parkinson’s, Chorea, Hemiblismus, Jacksonian epilepsy, Red Nucleus Tremor- after which he would sketch the neural circuits, developing our Clinical Acumen. He would also regularly arrange for Professors of Chemical Engineering from MIT to explain to us the process controls of sewage management systems. He was a my mentor, an amazing teacher, he infected us all with his love of Medicine- His classes interesting, imbued with kindness, a generous spirit, wit and humor - I will always remember our White Coat Ceremony - After we recited the Hippocratic Oath …ending with…Whenever the Art of Medicine is loved, there is also a love of Humanity. He walked towards me, pointed to my starched White Coat, and said - Never forget. This Coat will only be as good as your Clinical Skills / Acumen…He will live on in the hearts of everyone he Touchéd. It was because humility, uncommon kindness and nobility that he earned the Nickname - Our Beloved Dean - We don’t Teach the way we were Taught to Teach. We Teach the way we were Taught…Professor Chong Wei Min MD , Professor of Medicine MAHSA UNIVERSITY