Hi everyone. I recently took MRCP1 diet in September and scored above 700

Hi everyone. I recently took MRCP1 diet in September and scored above 700. I took the exam out of curiosity and my sole purpose was to uplift my academic standard.

I can see many of our colleagues in this group not being able to pass MRCP1 and are seeking which notes to read, how much time to give etc etc.

I studied Magraby notes twice and passmedicine online version once. That’s all. I am in year 3 of FCPS Medicine training. I studied for 2 months and got leave only for last 7 days. My biggest preparation for MRCP was seeing the cases, chasing the rounds, working day and night in a hospital under a professor.

Believe me, if you know how to run a BIPAP machine, you don’t have any problem in dealing with non-invasive ventilation questions. If you know how to interpret ABG and change ventilator settings, those kinds of questions won’t bother you at all. If you have treated and seen adult onset still’s disease or neuromyelitis optica, you will find any questions regarding them very easy.

MRCP and USMLE are different types of exams. USMLE is brain draining. USMLE will ask you questions where you have to remember ocean of information and passing is not enough, you need to score more than 240 to have any realistic chance of matching.

Unlike USMLE, MRCP is an exam that can be enjoyed. By reading notes you can remember the information, but you cannot internalize the concept until you have worked, seen the cases by yourself. If you can get local residency in internal medicine (FCPS or MD or MSc), go for it, train under a professor. Evolve yourself and you will find MRCP exam not so difficult. If you cannot get into local residencies work as a junior doctor in internal medicine department of any academic institute, attend to daily rounds and work hard for couple of years.

I am now going through “Rapid Review of Clinical Medicine for MRCP Part 2” by Sajay Sharma and Rashmi Kausal. What an amazing book it is (though a little outdated)!!. Good luck everyone.