Honest post for AI candidates alloted in Assam

Honest post for AI candidates alloted in Assam. As many are saying Assam students are misguiding AI students etc.

Gauhati Medical College : Almost all branches are good but huge workload and very hectic work hours in OBG, Medicine, Pediatrics and Ortho. Ophtha is worst(Minimal hands on even in 3rd year) and ENT is so so.

Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh : Oldest medical college of Assam. Med and Radio are very good (Better then GMCH). Other branches are okay-ish. Anesthesia very less hands-on as too many PGs compared to workload. Ophthal same as GMCH. But whatever you do DO NOT TAKE SURGERY here. Any Gen. Surgery department in any med college in any part of India is better then here. I’m not defaming this great college but its the truth, you’ll get to do Hydrocele Surgery that too in 3rd yr.

Silchar Medical college : Only Surgical branches are good (Best hands on in Assam). Medical branches including Radio not so good, rather just okay. Sadly, no Superspeciality exposure.

All 3 new Colleges i.e. Jorhat, Tezpur and FAAMCH in Barpeta have just started their PG programme and infrastructure wise still on Phase 2 or 3 of construction. Jorhat and Barpeta started the PG programmme last year and Tezpur will be starting from this year. So 100% seats are permitted. And many other cons as they’re new colleges. No Superspeciality branches, no MRI in TMCH and FAAMCH, teaching faculty on lower side, very less case load etc.

Older colleges like Gauhati Medical College, Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh and Silchar Medical College have both recognised and permitted seats. Most category seats are permitted. So AI candidates outside Assam won’t be able to practice in their home state legally, till its recognised. They may write but its not valid at all.

Language won’t be a problem for long as Assamese is a comparatively easy language to learn. In less than a year, you’ll be fluent. But Sylhetti Bengali language spoken in Silchar Medical college is bit trickier than Assamese. But you’ll learn.

Regarding the bond status, Assam has a 10 years/Rs.20 lakhs service bond which wasn’t strict till 2019 (No stipend, no bond provision is also available). But last year govt lodged FIRs against the defaulters. Multiple notices were issued in this regard last year. There was even a notice issued for bringing back the PGs who didn’t compete their bond for Covid duty. This year the PG stipend too was increased from 34k last yr to 49k. The health minister has been for long hinting this bond issue, so from this year its high probability it will be strict. If you aren’t prepared for a sudden order of strict 10 yrs bond then decide beforehand. I’m saying this because the health minister of Assam is not the usual health minister. Just last yr he made a obligatory 10 yrs service bond in the alloted district for the teachers passing the Teacher’s Eligibility Test(TET), failing which is a punishment of 3yrs jail, as he is the education minister of Assam too. He also demoted and transferred the Hospital Superintendent, Principal and HOD Medicine department of GMCH just last week for Covid mismanagement. I’m stating these facts so you can get the picture regarding strictness of service bond, as many are saying Assam students are misguiding the AI students regarding the bond. Whatever advice our seniors that passed out of Assam has given about bond in Assam is outdated from 2020.

Assam is also the only state not following the ICMR Guidelines for testing and quarantine of out of state visitors. Asymptomatic and Tested negative visitors too are quarantined for 14days. ‘The Print’ a News Channel reported it few days back.

I’m sorry if I offended anyone. I just tried to give a clearer picture for the AI candidates interested in getting into a PG seat in Assam. Hope I touched all issues. Thanks.