How can I help my child who may have bipolar disorder?

How can I help my child who may have bipolar disorder?

If you think that your child may have bipolar disorder, make an appointment with your doctor to discuss the symptoms that you have noticed. Other basic things you can do:

• Be patient.
  • Be understanding.
  • Be supportive.
  • Encourage your child to talk, and listen carefully.
  • Explain how treatment works.
  • Help your child have fun.
  • Seek medical help when needed.

How is bipolar disorder treated?

There is no cure for bipolar disorder, but with effective treatment it is possible for children to live normal lives. Doctors treat children with bipolar disorder with medications and therapy.

Medication : Children respond to medicine differently than adults, so the type and dosage of medication depends on the child, as well as their symptoms. It is best for the child to start at the smallest amount of medication as possible to help their symptoms, then gradually up the dosage if necessary.

Therapy : There are different types of psychotherapy that can help children with bipolar disorder. Therapy can help children manage their episodes and alter their behavior. It can also help with other psychosocial elements associated with bipolar disorder such as depression, low self-esteem and communication issues with family and friends. Family therapy and education about the illness is an important part of the overall treatment.