I don't like to write reviews for exams but this group taught me a lot on how to go about step3 exam

I don’t like to write reviews for exams but this group taught me a lot on how to go about step3 exam (so here it comes). Step 3 is more about strategically getting done with the maximum stuff superficially than to go over tiniest details. I’ll try to cover up my experience and will try to keep it short.

Exam date; 30th September and 5th October 2019

Prep time: 3 months 10days with 20days of dedicated study. (With match stuff going in between)

UWSA1 (2.5weeks before exam): 218
UWSA2 (A Week before exam): 224

Real deal: 239
(Alhamdulillah)

Prep Material:
UW Step3 for 3months (tbh over-rated except for biostats and ethics)
UW Step3 CCS
CCS.com only during 4 day Gap in between. (for the very first time ever!)
Biostats Step1
Biostats Step2CK
Biostats Review
First aid Step1 (Selective)
Step2CK All UW notes (V Selective)
USMLE Step1 Tables PDF

Day1;
Day 1 is mostly about going through the basics and acing Biostats. Just try to be alert. Most of the questions from basics we’re pretty straight forward apart from Biostats which is pretty twisted (except certain calculation Qs which are pretty straight as well).

Each block will have 38/39 Qs with 6-10 Biostats questions and 3-5 Ethics Questions. (40% of my exam as per report was just Biostats and epidemiology)… rest is mostly step1 and CK stuff.
Following should be covered for day1 from FA1;
I. FA pharma esp antibiotics. Although Qs are pretty easy but you can at time get lost in between the options.
II. FA Biostats
III. FA Micro
IV. Immunology and Biochemistry portion given in the other reviews. (Only 4-5pages)

Day2;
I found the questions to be very easy. If you have done preventive medicine nicely, you’ll be able to cover it up. You only have 30Qs in doc blocks each and then you’ll have CCS 13-14 cases.

CCS is all about luck. Some will be pretty easy and some v difficult. In my case I messed up 2 cases… rest ended fine. CCS.com helped me big times.

Tips for CCS;
I. CCS.com is the only factor that elevated my scores tbh. I did it between the breaks on a friend’s recommendation.

II. Do all the UW cases. Both practise and interactive. You’ll get many cases from thr. Essentially nothing out of both the sources combined.

III. ALWAYS put consults in CCS. In UW, you might not get desired results, but in actual exam it’s really important. For instance… in a case of anaphylaxis… consult an immunologist etc.

IV. Here are some of my summaries of what I used to add in every relevant case: (Hope it helps)

for 2 minute screen;++
Always add vaccines and preventive orders in 2minute screen. This is how I did;
So I had a scheme;

Age 11+ females;
HPV
Meningococcal
Influenza

Young females;
Pap smear
Influenza
Chlamydia screen

Others;
Add drug dependency+ RPR+ HbsAg+ Hcv + chlamydia+ gonorrhea screen always

In all cases except for peds;
Add
Safe sex
No smoking
No alcohol (esp metronidazole)
No illicit drug use
Seat belt

Elderly;
Check age and add accordingly the following;
Colonoscopy
Mammography
CT chest for smokers 15y-/-1pack/30yr criteria
US abdomen for aortic aneurysm in smokers w specific criteria.
Varicella vaccine
Influenza vaccine
Pneumovax (also use that table)

Other stuff;

Restraining order
Safety plan

(Both in sexual abuse and elderly abuse)

V. Always stabilize the pt with ABCs and only then proceed to focussed exam and than go to the most important treatment and just not wait for confirmation unless less urgent or outpatient.

VI. Always reassure patient if benign condition.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!