I have grown up seeing my parents struggle

“I have grown up seeing my parents struggle. Although they made sure we had everything we needed, coming from a middle class family we had to face the realities of society early in life. That’s when I realized that there were many changes that were necessary in our society, and I wanted to see those changes begin from myself. And if I wanted to make these changes, if I wanted to be someone, study was the only way out for me.

I had obvious reasons for wanting to choose doctor as my profession. I was a good student while growing up. So I was encouraged to study in the field of medicine, because the recognition and inclination of our community towards this profession is huge. So I worked hard and even when I didn’t succeed once I tried again. The one year’s time for entrance preparation was a struggle, but it wasn’t a waste. I got admission in a good college and my medical journey started. It embarked with great memories, great experiences as well as great lessons. One of the unforgettable one is our visit to Chepang village in my third year. It was a remote area and it took us 7-8 hours of walking to reach there. We went to 114 households with medical supplies. The conditions of those villages weren’t good. There were no good food supplies and it was despairing to see that they didn’t even have slippers to wear. We donated clothes and blankets, in an attempt to initiate any help possible towards them. This visit made me realize how privileged we are, and how we take so many things for granted. We enjoyed the work we did, and this visit brought a lot of positivity in me.

We also had many patients visit our hospitals, who were completely unaware about health necessities and this made the treatment process tough too. So I realized that change had to be made and my motives got stronger and stronger. Work started to become the most important factor of my life. And it was during the time that I was busy with work, when I lost the most important person in my life. I was just ready to onboard a flight to Sri lanka for a conference when I heard the news of my dad’s demise. After that I had much responsibility on my shoulder. We two brothers had to be the one to look after everything along with continuing father’s initiatives. Although it added struggle to my life it also became a motivating factor for me.

In all these years, so many things have changed and I have gone through so much. But what I learnt is that we should never miss to grab the opportunity that’s in our reach. I was a socially active student so I feel proud that I always made full utilization of the opportunities that were presented to me. I was also a spiritually inclined person. I always went along with the words of Bhagwat Gita that “ everything happens for a reason”. You just have to be brave enough to dream and to have big ambitions. And if you work hard to walk along that part you will surely reach far.”