I started a slow study process for a whole year before I came to Canada beside my full time work as an internist

For QE1:

1. I started a slow study process for a whole year before I came to Canada beside my full time work as an internist. (I had graduated a long time ago and needed to brush up!)

2. I attended medschoolimg’s review weekend sessions on skype ( overnight due to time difference).

3. Dedicate at least 3-4 months before the exam for reviewing. Do nothing else.

4. Join WhatsApp groups of people going for QE1 at the same period.

5. Never underestimate the power of group study! I met great people, everyone working hard!

6. I reviewed MTB 3 ( you can also do MTB 2) again for 2 months with Uworld step 2 questions. I aimed for 50 per day but hardly reached my goal. This gives a good foundation of medical knowledge.

7. I watched YouTube videos of Paul Bolin and online meded during any free time.

8. I did ELOM, Obe Gyne, psych, epidemiology, orthopedics, surgery, Paeds, Family medicine and geriatrics from TN. Courses can help break the monotony of this book and help you focus on what’s important. I saw a bit of medical education express. The TN handbook helps you understand what is important.

9. I wrote my own flash cards which proved handy for the last few days before the test when you feel lost.

10. You will never feel ‘ready’ for this exam.

11. I prepared for CDM through medschoolimg short course and watched some prerecorded tutorIMG. I answered several questions from my own experience that I had never studied for.

12. Be familiar with ‘choosing wisely’, CMPA handbook and website for physicians, CAMH. Risk factors of the various diseases. All things Canadian!

13. Ethics: I read summary of chapters in Dr. Shah’s book and 100 cases by Conrad Fischer.

14. Even though I scored in the top 15% in QE1 and my NAC OSCE was 2 SD above the mean, I only got 1 interview in CaRMS: the Ontario FM which is computer-generated. So marks aren’t everything:)

1. I will be posting some info on alternative pathways but Healthforce Ontario can provide more information.

16)Best of Luck to all!