Recently I lost my maternal grandmother for COVID 19

Non academic post

I am sharing my personal experience ,recently I lost my maternal grandmother for COVID 19 on Day 3 of her hospitalization at Mc Ghan govt. hospital ,shimoga,karnataka. I am NEET PG 2021 aspirant ,march 2020 passout, I took a year drop for my preparation (which got postponed from jan to april, now to august) .

As lockdown was liberated since jan 2021 people started visiting temples,malls, churches and even schools were reopened! I kept warning my family members to avoid functions or social gatherings and ofcourse they ignored me! I had to fight with my parents to even get them vaccinated!

On march 25th to 28th 3 of my family members got fever and those family members were living with my grandmother, Inspite of me telling them to isolate my advice was ignored!

On april 29th my grandma who was diabetic, hypertensive and H/o CVA went and took her 1st vaccine dose , as she was scared with rapid increase in number of covid cases, as the side effect of it she got fever, myalgia, malaise!..but the fever kept on increasing till may 2 …

.I had to fight with my family members to get rtpcr and Ct chest done as her spo2 kept fluctuating between 88 to 90…finally after hours of nagging they got her CT done ,CORADS SCORE was 9! I cried and begged my family members to take her to hospital ,though I had adviced home medications after visiting her (with upmost precautions as I was scared to get exposed and infect to my parents )

I was aware it couldnt be managed just at home!

Finally On may 5th she turned critical and grew fatigue ,then my relatives realised she needs hospitalization! NO BEDS WERE AVAILABLE AT ANY PRIVATE HOSPITALS OF SHIMOGA or PPE KITS AT MEDICAL STORES OR EVEN N95 MASKS N GLOVES WERE OUT OF STOCK which me and my dad were trying since 2nd may, somehow we managed to arrange a bed at Mcghan on 5th may ,thanks to a senior friend of mine I could get status update and periodic monitoring of my grandmother from the hospital which I am really grateful about they took personal interest on her inspite of their hectic schedule , but she kept on detoriorating and we couldnt arrange ventilator or drugs at right moment we lost her on 7th may 2021!

But at this situation GUESS WHAT MY RELATIVES BLAMED ME FOR? that I dint personally attend and took care of my grandmother wearing PPE KIT! (I am staying with my parents who are diabetic and hypertensive, the risk of me exposing them and unable to safely isolate myself was the matter of concern) From may 1 to may 7th I personally hv called all covid care centers at my place to arrange bed, drugs and consulted collegues seniors for home treatement! I hv monitored her via video and audio call through out helped their whole family and her with food and water from my home as all at their home had tested covid + , yet to get blamed for not helping her enough!

I am just out of words!

AS MUCH AS WE BLAME THE GOVERNMENT I think we are equally responcible for the irresponcibilty , sheer neglect of medical advice or even to follow basic covid protocols!