Residency interview tips, part 2:

Residency interview tips, part 2:

As I finished helping my program’s interview week, just wanted to share a couple of pointers when it comes to the social dinner/lunch:

As mentioned in my previous post, socials are a great way to know the program and residents. Some programs will say at the beginning that it won’t affect the match process, but I still believe it has a small role. If there are any major red-flags or someone is awfully rude, then it won’t be good.

So, in order to avoid awkward moments during the socials, these are some notes and observations I would like to share.

First, Don’t be negative. Avoid any negative vibes!!! Some applicants start talking about sad stuff, like the death of Kobe etc. Just don’t … I don’t want to think about depressing stuff if it’s my first time meeting you. And please, avoid talks on politics or wars … I really don’t want to start an argument with you. Sports is a tricky topic too. You can say that you praise our city’s hockey team (in this case, the Montreal Habs :slight_smile: ) but don’t say that they are doing bad this season. Lastly, as mentioned in the past, don’t talk about the hardships of being an IMG.

Find something positive to talk instead. Make the residents think of happy good stuff. Like, make them talk about their city, what good places you should visit while you are in town, where are the good restaurants, what is the city known for, what festivals there are, what group activities are done with other residents. Talk about rent or housing.
If you have kids, maybe you can ask about schools here.
Ask about how was first year residency. What they like the most about their program
What gyms or extracurricular they have.
If it gets quiet, ask about what research the residents are in! Everyone has a research project going on.
Also ask their background, and why THEY chose pathology! Or why they chose this university.

You can also ask about the perks of the residency program/hospital. Like , is there parking, lunch discounts, on call rooms, vacation days, study days, conference days, sick days, teaching med students days, do they pay you to teach classes, some programs even give you money to buy books! Ask about the resident retreats, and what courses does the program pay you to go. And also conferences, how much do they sponsor you.

Don’t talk about the interviews! Some places are not allowed. And don’t talk about questions that you had from the other universities. Treat the day as an OSCE , you wouldn’t discuss the answers on the site ! (or ever)

Make sure to look into the residency program’s website as well. I usually look over names of residents (because i am soooooo bad at remembering names)

I attached an old old old document I used to brainstorm questions.

I know this is posted a little late, but interviews are still going on! And second iteration will come around March !