Students seem to commonly make one major mistake about Plab 1

Students seem to commonly make one major mistake about Plab 1.

Answering Plab 1 Qs is not about you creating your diagnosis, or confabulating history, signs and symptoms (not given in the question but) based on your clinical experience in your country of origin.

They have a diagnosis in mind, they put keywords in the Q. Your job is to use those very keywords -like a Jigsaw puzzle- to find the MOST APPROPRIATE answer WITHIN 45 SECONDS in the exam hall!

PLAB 1 IS ABOUT WHAT THE TYPICAL ENGLISH PATIENT WILL PRESENT WITH ‘‘TYPICALLY’’(…as determined by the Plab 1 clinical examiners who have seen lots and lots of patients, practising in the UK for years)!

And that is why I always tell my friends not to cram 1700 (or mock) answers…but to UNDERSTAND AND READ AROUND topics/clinical conditions.

They often twist stem Qs around, or change options! So, don’t just cram recalled answers, simply read around the recall, and consensus answer(s) chosen.

I hope this helps someone for June, and beyond. All the best!
Cheers!

A child presented with hot rashes on face and neck. Mother has used OTC anti infective agents but no improvement. What is the next appropriate thing to give?
A. Topical antibiotic
B. Topical antibiotics + steroids
C. Topical antifungal
D. Topical steroids

Here is what I did for November PLAB 1
(All material mentioned below you can find them in the files section)

-3 months of continuous effort it be more or less it varies from one person to another.
-1700 questions.
-Mocks.
-Recalls (did them about 1 week before the exam).
-OHCM and OHCS for reference
along with patient UK website.
-MOST importantly PLAB group discussions are very very important.

*Before the exam try to time yourself since time was a bit challenging during the exam.
*Always try to Aim for about 130 to be safe.
*The key to PLAB 1 is to practice as much as possible and knowing the clinchers/keywords for important case scenarios/topics so that you dont take much time reading each case during the exam.

Why not D (ACEI)? This pt has CRF and diabetic and his BP should therefore be <125/75, in oxford book in management of CRF it said to keep BP at that level we use ACEI or ARBS. Now I don’t know when or when not to choose ACEI. As those drugs are contraindicated in renal failure and cause renal impairment.

A homeless person is found wandering on the street. He had ataxic gait, nystagmus and
opthalmoplegia. He looked unkempt and his clothes had a sweaty odour. He had a dry mucous
membrane with a BP=118/70mmHg and PR=90bpm. Blood sugar level=8. Alcohol breath test= -
ve. What would the most imp initial inv?
a. IV insulin
b. Vit B complex
c. Bolus IV 0.9%NS
d. IV dextrose
e. Antibiotics

I ain’t an expert (since haven’t cleared ielts yet :frowning: got 7 in first attempt ) however, I guess its all (notes,mocks,1700,recalls,clinchers etc) need to pass plab1…don’t thank me… all credit goes to dr khalid, dr. sush, dr. rabia, dr. afsana, dr. ishtiak and many others whom I don’t even know…I have downloaded almost all tthe files from file section from this group…I tried my best to rearrange and rename them in a systematic and comprehensive way that anyone can find whatever he/she is looking for with ease… :slight_smile: ((hey gyz…all the best to your plab journey…hope to see you all in uk someday :wink: ))

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aufd5rM7AU6NbuYJZ4f82ZGuj7A

1.notes
2.1700s
3.mocks
4.recalls
5.experience
6.clinchers
7.syllabus
dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/…/0m3q79…/AAD1wBmNUVgVc2TpdAUcdl3ba…

(n.b: if any zip/rar file prompts password, use: bangladesh / oni2016… sorry for passowrd encription…I might have given password out of curiosity