Tell me about your experience the day of and after surgery

Tell me about your experience the day of and after surgery. Did you have level 10 pain? Did you stay on your pain med schedule? Was walking to the bathroom unbearable?

Let me have it. Tell me your worst. I’m a planner but I’m also realistic and I expect this to be up there with labor or a pancreatic attack or something equally fun.

It’s a deep, uncomfortable ache. Hard to get comfortable. The only intense pain I experienced with both ACL surgeries was the few moments after standing (blood rush, intense pressure) or when PT would really force flexion & I thought my patella was going to pop off.

But, post op pain is manageable. Ice, Ice, Ice. Maybe a strong bourbon drink. I didn’t take many pain pills.

I didn’t get a nerve block when I got my surgery so the day of was bad but day 2 wasn’t terrible and I was walking only using one crutch. Couple of suggestions though, you will likely be in a brace that keeps your leg straight for awhile so put something in your bathroom you can prop your leg on when you need to use the restroom. It seems strange but it was a necessity for me. Also if your bedroom is on the second floor prepare a place you can sleep downstairs ahead of time. I couldn’t get upstairs for 4 or 5 days after my surgery.