The information below applies to the 2019 MCCQE Part I sessions

If you took the fall 2018 MCCQE Part I, please click here. The information below applies to the 2019 MCCQE Part I sessions.

MCCQE Part I starting in April/May 2019

Starting in April/May 2019, there will be more opportunities to take the MCCQE Part I – four times per year in 2019 and up to five times per year in 2020 versus the current two times per year.

We will also be delivering the MCCQE Part I in Canada and internationally in over 80 countries through our vendor Prometric. Prometric is an internationally recognized firm with more than 20 years’ experience in exam development and administration for professional sectors. This change to Prometric will ensure broad access for candidates to take the MCCQE Part I.

To help you navigate through the exam information, please consult the information sheets for Canadian and international medical students and graduates.

MCCQE Part I

You must take and pass the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I and the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II to obtain the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC). Canadian medical regulatory authorities may require you to have the LMCC to apply for a medical licence within their province or territory.

Visit our Application and eligibility page for the full list of MCCQE Part I requirements.

What is the MCCQE Part I?

The MCCQE Part I is a summative examination that assesses the critical medical knowledge and clinical decision-making ability of a candidate at a level expected of a medical student who is completing his or her medical degree in Canada. The examination is based on the MCC Objectives, which are organized under the CanMEDS roles. Candidates graduating and completing the MCCQE Part I normally enter supervised practice. Aside from formal accreditation processes of the undergraduate and postgraduate education programs, the MCCQE Part I is the only national standard for medical schools across Canada and, therefore, is administered at the end of medical school.

The MCCQE Part I is a one-day, computer-based test. You are allowed up to four hours in the morning session to complete 210 Multiple-Choice Questions. You are allowed up to three and a half hours in the afternoon session for the Clinical Decision-Making component, which consists of 38 cases with short-menu and short-answer write-in questions.

The exam is based on a Blueprint that assesses your performance across two broad categories:

• Dimensions of care, covering the spectrum of medical care;
  • Physician activities, reflecting a physician’s scope of practice and behaviours.