Which is better - USMLE or PLAB?

Which is better - USMLE or PLAB??

USMLE is better because it’s easier to get ready. You have many resources available for that exam + it’s more clinical based. Knowledge-wise, USMLE is harder, but it’s gonna be easier if you use right resources.

I would’t recommend to take different resources for each subject. This will do so much harm for you, as your brain will just burst eventually. You should make sure that you use as few resources as possible to have the same style of teaching in every subject. Of course, if you are currently studying medical subjects you should use a book but for USMLE prep just use latest First Aid and subscribe to Lecturio. This is my golden combination, which will help you throughout your whole preparation time (+ you’ll economize hundreds of dollars). So this is how I use First Aid and Lecturio together:

First Aid shows you what are important aspects of the topic that you must know for step 1. I basically go through one topic and if I need more explanation I go to book matcher in Lecturio app, type the page number from FA and platform gives me the relevant videos regarding that page, from which you can choose in which area are you interested. You can also read the topic, but I prefer to watch it.
After I’m done with revising the whole chapter, I go to the Qbank, choose that topic (For example anatomy - musculoskeletal) and do the questions from there.
You can also do MCQs which are provided in the end of every video lecture, those questions will come back to you days after which will help you to develop long term memory.
Dr Ossareh has a course there called medical survival guide, which is actually really helpful!
When you get close to the test day, use 30 day and 90 day preparation schedules which are also provided by Lecturio.

We will break it up by looking at different aspects.

Time to finish
USMLE is I feel long and arduous, it takes like at least 2 -3 years to get into a residency if everything goes right.
PLAB is relatively less time taking. Say like you can sit for both parts in a period of 1 year and will land a job at the end of it given the situation of brexit in the UK.
Cost
USMLE is again relatively costly, given the course materials, higher number of steps and the need for US clinical experience and US travel for step 2 CS.
PLAB is again relatively cheaper given the lesser number of steps.
Remuneration post Residency
This is where USMLE scores big. Although you might take more time than PLAB, you will end up with a much higher pay scale than your peers in UK.
Job guarantee
You may clear all the steps in USMLE with average grades, but there is still no guarantee of a residency of your choice.
PLAB on the other hand allows you to work your way through your desired specialty and in most cases you do land a good initial job.
Opportunities
All said and done, US is a much bigger country with a wide range of opportunities. If you play your cards right, you can even end up to be the Surgeon General of US.
UK is a much smaller country and opportunities for career progression are quite limited.
Weather
US has a much better climate compared to the UK, where it can be dull and cloudy for months together, drizzling at times and no Sun. May be quite depressing at times.
Worldwide recognition
US residency and credentials have a higher acceptance world wide compared to UK.
UK credentials are good for most commonwealth countries and are not accepted in USA and Canada.
Alright then, what should I choose ??

All said and done, I feel both are quite good options. Choose, what suits you and what options you have before proceeding.

USMLE :

USMLE or United States Medical Licensing Exam commonly called the ‘the Boards’, is very challenging three step Licensing Exam to get Medical License to practice Medicines in the United States. First, two steps can be taken while a student is in med-school but step-3 can only be taken after graduation.

Eligibility

Step-1, Step-2 CK, and Step-2 CS can be taken by students while in Medical School,

Step-3 can only be taken after graduation by,

US and Canadian Med-School Students recognized by Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)

US and Canadian Med-School Students recognized by American Osteopathic Association

Students outside US and Canadian Med-Schools recognized by International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. (ECFMG).

Although USMLE is a 3-steps exam, it still takes 5 days of testing. Today taking USME steps is very time consuming and rigorous. Step-1 is considered to be the most difficult of all the steps and things start getting easier afterward.

PLAB

Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test is the main route for the Overseas-International Medical Graduates (IMG’s) to practice the safe medicine in the United Kingdom (UK). PLAB is aimed to test the basic necessary skills and the clinical knowledge of the candidates wishing to practice medicine in the UK. PLAB exam is conducted by the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK.

Eligibility:

You become eligible to take PLAB exam only after meeting the following eligibility criteria;

· Your Medical Institution is listed in the General Medical Council (GMC) List

· You have acquired your primary medical qualification (MBBS)/Graduation

· You have cleared the IELTS with overall score of 7.5 Bands and Individual Score of 7 Bands in all four Basic Components (Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening)

The PLAB test is aimed to test the depth of the knowledge and the skills that you have to demonstrate to make you eligible to practice medicine in the UK. You will be tested against limited registration to work as a doctor in the UK. PLAB will assess your ability, as a doctor, to work safely as a Senior House Officer (SHO) in a UK NHS hospital. There are actually, two components of the PLAB test series, PLAB 1 and PLAB 2.

Depends really on where you see yourself later in life. Both countries have an excellent system of medical training. Personally I’d say USMLE because it has a more transparent system of selection and has a much bigger market for doctors. The salary and lifestyle of doctors is also slightly better than in England. PLAB is an easier exam as compared to the USMLE but even with a great score in the exam there is no guarantee of getting a residency there. You have to work in UK as an intern for a year or more than that, build contacts so that someone ultimately recommends you or accepts you into their hospital. USMLE is a slightly tougher exam, and you have to finish step 1, step 2 ck and step 2 cs to go for the residency interview. A body called ECFMG exists which controls the residency matching process for foreign graduates. All applications are made through ecfmg. No such body exists for the UK. That doesn’t mean people don’t get into UK for a residency. And that also doesn’t mean that you can get a residency in the US with just good scores. You need some work experience in the respective countries before you can consider applying. But in my personal opinion the USMLE path seems more organised

I personally feel that doctors in US are paid more as compared to doctors in UK. Even if the pay/salary was same for the two, UK tax charges are relatively more as compared to in US.

Difficulty?

While you just have to write IELTS and give PLAB 1; mind you there are past papers and what not; to get done with PLAB 1 rather easily so it takes relatively less time. However, PLAB 2 is relatively hard as far as i have heard.

For USMLE, the path is relatively clear, but you have to put in a lot of effort, not only in Step 1 but step 2 (ck and cs) and step 3. USMLE TAKES TIME.

Even if you get done with any of the exams, it doesn’t mean that you will get a residency spot; be it UK or US. So, whatever you choose, know the consequences beforehand and then work toward your goals.