Which of the following is true about pasteurization
- It kills all bacteria and spores
- It kills all bacteria except thermoduric bacteria
- It kills 95% of microorganisms
- All bacteria are destroyed
- Is a method for sterilization of milk.
- It is defined as the heating of every particle of milk or milk product to a specific temperature for a specific period of time without allowing recontamination of that milk or milk product.
- Two methods are commonly used.-
- Holder method → 63°c for 30 minutes.
- Flash method → 72°c for 15-20 seconds
“Pasteurization kills nearly 90% of the bacteria in milk including the more heat resistant tubercle bacillus and the fever organisms. But it will not kill theromoduric bacteria nor the bacterial spores.” - PSM Park 19th/e