Your parents get lonely too. Give them time

But noone talks about them! Another suicide happened at our undergrad campus a few months back.

Lonliness, Depression, Pressure.

From preparing for IITs to graduating from one of the most premier institutes in the world, every year we hear stories of young folks taking their lives :cry:

Like the recent suicide at Google NY.

And ofcourse these are in the news.

On this #mentalhealthawareness month, I want to bring your attention :rotating_light: to another set of people, another generation for whom even talking about mental health is ā€œnotā€ a thing, but they are also going through a lot -

Our parents. The elderly.

My mother often goes through bouts of sadness and lonliness, often dismissed ( I am guilty too) to be ā€˜just a phaseā€™. All her life she has been focused on building a life for us , her children, and her husband, my father.

Once we left home for our studies and jobs eventually, and dad retired too, there isnā€™t a lot of her own life thatā€™s there.

And itā€™s sad.

There is lack of information on the magnitude of depression among elderly population. A recent study, showed the prevalence of depression among elderly population as close to 35%.

Thatā€™sāš”ļøone in threeāš”ļø in elderly population that suffers from depression, with female preponderance.

In this fast-moving seemingly ā€œconnectedā€ world, where we find more joy in watching strangersā€™ reels, than talking to our own family, remember:

:pushpin: Mental health challenges are not limited to GenZ and Millenials.

:pushpin: Your parents get lonely too. Give them time.

:pushpin: While they are managing your emotions, they need emotional support too.

:pushpin: Donā€™t dismiss their lonliness or sadness.

Today, if youā€™re lucky to have your mom-dad, pick up the phone and talk to them.

Because they are trained to show you only their brave side and they might sound ok,
But they might not be okšŸ˜¢

#mentalhealthawarenessmonth #suicidepreventionawareness
Sneha Biswas